UAEU Hosts 4th Oxford University Lecture Series: “Research for Health:
Universities can Help to Build a Healthier Society” presented by Professor Dame Valerie Beral
Under the Patronage of His Highness Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak Al Nahayan, Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research and Chancellor of the United Arab Emirates University, the UAEU will host the fourth Oxford University Lecture Series this Sunday, 26 February 2012. The Lecture is titled: ‘Research for Health: Universities can Help to Build a Healthier Society' and will be presented by Professor Dame Valerie Beral, Professor of Epidemiology at the University of Oxford.
In this lecture, Professor Beral will discuss the critical role of research in building a healthier society and how collaborations between universities and health services are the key to dealing with the impending global epidemic of chronic non-communicable diseases including cancer, heart disease and diabetes. Drawing on over forty years of experience in leading cancer research at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, the University of Oxford and internationally, she will illustrate the vital role of research in improving public health. She will further highlight the significance of conducting and translating health research to help promote healthy behaviors.
The lecture is particularly timely as the World Health Report's theme for 2012 is 'Better Research for better health' focusing on the importance of research in meeting health needs and improving health outcomes and as an investment for a better, healthier future.
Professor Beral is also Director of the Cancer Epidemiology Unit at the University of Oxford and the Principal Investigator for the Million Women Study and also leads the international collaborative studies of breast, ovarian and endometrial cancer. She was elected to the Fellowship of the Royal Society for scientific contributions to epidemiology in 2009 and was twice honoured by the Queen in 2010 for “eminent service to medicine and women's health through significant advances in cancer research and epidemiology, through seminal contributions to public health policy and as a mentor to young scientists."
This fourth opportunity to partner with Oxford University follows the success of the three previous Lectures in 2011 and affirms the leadership role that the UAEU plays in research, supporting the transformation of the UAE into a knowledge based economy to the benefit of the whole Nation.
Notes to Editors
United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
- 21st Century research-based university, providing research solutions to support the UAE and, through its global partners, the wider world
- Founded in 1976 by HH Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan; the UAE’s first national university
- Chancellor: His Highness Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak Al Nahayan, Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research
- Nine Faculties:
- Business & Economics
- Food & Agriculture
- Humanities & Social Sciences
- Information Technology
- Medicine & Health Science
- 12,500 students enrolled in Fall 2011/2012
- First PhD program in UAE national institution commenced in January 2010
- Strong focus on providing specific research solutions and benefits to society − the new model of a 21st Century university, furthering research as part of the global network of discovery and innovation
- Ranked 338 worldwide by the QS Ranking of International Universities