MOU with Higher Committee of Maktoum bin Mohammed Al Maktoum Moot Court
May 1st, 2012
Dr. Ahmed Saeed bin Hazeem, the Director General of Dubai Courts, and Chairman of Higher Committee of Maktoum bin Mohammed Al Maktoum Moot Court, signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Dr. Abdulla Saad Al-Khanbashi, Vice Chancellor of United Arab Emirates University (UAEU), in the presence of H.H. Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak Al Nahayan, Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research, and Chancellor of the United Arab Emirates University, in order to strengthen the continuous cooperation between the two parties in the legal field and support a distinguished generation in law.
The two parties agreed to establish an annual research law competition for law students for five years, under the patronage of H.H. Sheikh Maktoum bin Mohammed Al Maktoum, Deputy Ruler of Dubai, and Chairman of the Judicial Council, designed to encourage young Emiratis to develop their legal skills alongside their academic studies.
The competition will be prepared by the UAEU Faculty of Law, and entitled "Maktoum bin Mohammed Al Maktoum Law Academic Research". Papers shall be accepted from various Schools of Law in accordance with the criteria to be announced by UAEU.
The UAEU shall form a scientific committee to judge the submitted papers, according to the competition conditions. The papers will cover legal issues related to United Arab Emirates regulations. In addition, a special journal for the competition will be issued to publish the winning papers.
Dr. Ahmed Saeed bin Hazeem, the Director General of Dubai Courts and Chairman of Higher Committee of Maktoum bin Mohammed Al Maktoum Moot Court, stated that this competition represents an important chance for Law students and a boost to research in the field of Law during the next five years.
Notes to Editors
United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
- 21st Century research-based university, providing research solutions to support the UAE and, through its global partners, the wider world
- Founded in 1976 by HH Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan; the UAE’s first national university
- Chancellor: His Highness Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak Al Nahayan, Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research
- Ranked # 338 in the 2011/2012 Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings
- Nine faculties:
- Business & Economics
- Food & Agriculture
- Humanities & Social Sciences
- Information Technology
- Medicine & Health Science
- 12,279 students enrolled in 2010/11
- First PhD program in UAE national institution commenced in 2009
- Strong focus on providing specific research solutions and benefits to society − the new model of a 21st Century university, furthering research as part of the global network of discovery and innovation