UAEU signs MOU with United Nations Development Program
The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) signed a Memorandum Of Understanding on promoting the cooperation in the fields of conducting research, special studies related to human, economic and social development, as well as the exchange of information and expertise.
Dr. Abdulla Al Khanbashi, UAEU Vice Chancellor, was entered on behalf of the United Arab Emirates University and Dr. Elissar Sarrouh, UNDP Resident Representative in UAE, signed on behalf of United Nations Development Program.
The MOU aims to expand the cooperation between both institutions in the common interest, giving opportunities for UAEU students to work as interns or trainees in programs and projects during the summer.
The MOU included consultations and exchanges of expertise in scientific research through joint studies and projects in areas such as sustainable development, fighting poverty, crises prevention, the environment and energy, gender equality and human rights protection.
Further, the MOU includes organizing conferences, workshops and specialist symposia to discuss global development challenges, encourage policy debate and promote best practices in fields of Sustainable Human Development, in addition providing access for UAEU students, researchers and faculty members to the Sheikha Fatima Human Development Centre and the United Nations Resource Centre located in UN/UNDP premises.
Dr Al Khanbashi commented on the UAEU mission in supporting international organizations with its experience as a centre for learning and human development and with its academic and scientific environment.
He further stated that the UAEU is making progress to ensure the continuous development in community outreach in common with UNDP objectives in serving the international community.
Dr. Elissar Sarrouh, UNDP Resident Representative in the UAE, said that the UN provides a framework to assist individuals and groups aiming to lead a better life. She explained that the UNDP works in 177 countries around the globe to tackle local and international challenges, and she explained that the cooperation with UAEU represents a strong framework to promote the role played by the two parties in serving the common issues in responding to contemporary development needs.
Media Enquiries: email@example.com
Notes to Editors:
United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
- 21st Century research-based university, providing research solutions to support the UAE and, through its global partners, the wider world
- Founded in 1976 by HH Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan; the UAE’s first national university
- Chancellor: His Highness Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak Al Nahayan, Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research
- Ranked # 338 in the 2011/2012 Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings
- Nine faculties:
- Business & Economics
- Food & Agriculture
- Humanities & Social Sciences
- Information Technology
- Medicine & Health Science
- 12,279 students enrolled in 2010/11
- First PhD program in UAE national institution commenced in 2009
- Strong focus on providing specific research solutions and benefits to society − the new model of a 21st Century university, furthering research as part of the global network of discovery and innovation
# # #