Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Concentration: Biomedical Sciences
The College of Medicine and Health Sciences at UAE University provides PhD program in Biomedical Sciences and Public Health & Occupational Health. The PhD program involves conducting coursework over a period of up to 2 years, followed by a comprehensive examination evaluating the breadth and depth of the student’s knowledge of his or her discipline, as well as the student’s scholarly potential. Passing the comprehensive examination results in the student being recommended to advance to candidacy followed by research and the writing of a dissertation over a further three to a maximum four year period.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Will demonstrate the breadth of knowledge in the discipline and advance, in-depth knowledge in the sub-discipline or area of specialization.
- Will have performed and defended an original work of research in their fields of specialization which contributed new human knowledge.
- Will be able to identify, analyze critically and explain open problems in their disciplines and apply relevant research methodology for finding a possible solution.
- Will be able to communicate the major tenets of their field of specialization and their work orally and in writing to the faculty, their peers, and the lay public.
- Will be able to identify areas where ethical issues may arise in their field, and articulate strategies to mitigate situations related to ethical issues in their profession.
- Will demonstrate an insight into the transferable nature of research skills to other work environments and the range of career opportunities available to them inside and outside academia.
Required Credit Hours :
minimum 54 hours
Part 3: Elective Requirements
Any 6 credits of relevant 600 level courses or above offered by the CMHS (or relevant courses offered by other UAEU colleges) approved by the Advisory Committee and have not been taken previously. (6.00 hours)