Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Concentration: Civil Engineering
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering offers Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering. The program has evolved in response to the national need of developing qualified and specialized engineers in the various disciplines of Civil Engineering including structural, geotechnical, environmental, water resources, highway, transportation, surveying, and construction management. The award of the Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering requires successful completion of a minimum of 25 credit hours of graduate “taught” coursework and 30 credit hours in research in addition to passing comprehensive and prospectus exams. Graduates of the program will contribute to the transfer of research knowledge, skills, and methodologies to work environments. Graduates of the program will be highly specialized in their respective areas and therefore they are anticipated to take the lead in the national development of the UAE in the various fields of Civil Engineering.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Will demonstrate the breadth of knowledge in the discipline and advance, in-depth knowledge in the sub-discipline or area of specialization.
- Will have performed and defended an original work of research in their fields of specialization which contributed new human knowledge.
- Will be able to identify, analyze critically and explain open problems in their disciplines and apply relevant research methodology for finding a possible solution.
- Will be able to communicate the major tenets of their field of specialization and their work orally and in writing to the faculty, their peers, and the lay public.
- Will be able to identify areas where ethical issues may arise in their field, and articulate strategies to mitigate situations related to ethical issues in their profession.
Required Credit Hours :
minimum 55 hours
Part 3: Elective Requirements
(Any two Elective courses from Civil Eng. or other programs) (6.00 hours)