Bachelor of Science in Biology
The program in Biology is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in biological sciences, after which they can major in one of three concentrations: cellular and molecular biology, general biology, or ecological and environmental biology. The Department of Biology emphasizes early students’ involvement in the learning environment, to ensure solid foundation of their theoretical and practical skills. Students are exposed to diverse methods of biological analyses in all three major areas. The program aims at graduating students who are intellectually apt and technically wise, as to provide biological solutions to current major challenges of everyday life.
- Develop proficiency of basic concepts in cellular and molecular biology, ecology and environmental sciences, and general biology.
- Foster teamwork and improve oral and communication skills.
- Foster a student-oriented research program that results in professional publications.
- Embrace student-oriented teaching methods that nurture critical thinking abilities and apply their knowledge to solve theoretical and empirical real-life problems.
- Prepare students for future job market and careers.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Explain major biological concepts.
- Solve and criticize practical and theoretical problems in biology.
- Communicate effectively in oral and written forms.
- Conduct safe and ethical biological lab experiments, data analysis, and interpretation of results.
- Demonstrate research competence including analysis of scientific literature and adherence to professional standards.
- Work effectively both independently and in a team.
Required Credit Hours :
minimum 120 hours
General Education (Req. CH:39)
Cluster 1: Values to Live By - Islam (3.00 hours)
Cluster 2: Skills for Life - English Communication Skills (3.00 hours)
|ESPU102||Introduction to Academic English For Science||3.000|
Cluster 2: Skills for Life - Information Literacy (3.00 hours)
Cluster 3: The Human Community - Emirates Society (3.00 hours)
Cluster 4: The Natural World - Mathematics (3.00 hours)
|MATH105||Calculus I 3||3.000|
3 : Also counts towards the Major
Cluster 5: Capstone Experience (3.00 hours)
|BIOC480||Research Project 5||3.000|
5 : Also counts towards the Major
Biology Major (Req. CH:48)
Cellular and Molecular Biology Track
Ecological and Environmental Biology Track
General Biology Track (Req. CH:15)
Student must select ONE COURSE from each of the following groups
Group A (3.00 hours)
Elective Courses - Upon the approval of the Department, the student may select a total of 18 Credit Hours from a specific minor. (18.00 hours)