Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
The Department of Sociology offers B.A. degree in Sociology and a minor in Family Studies. Students require 120 credit hours to graduate. They can choose to concentrate their studies in one of three tracks: Development and Organizational Change, Applied Social Issues and Anthropology and Folklore. Sociology Department aims to prepare leading graduates in the field of sociology as well as to achieve academic excellence. It provides significant approaches through a spectrum of descriptive and analytical methods explicating global operations impacting localized realities represented in detailed case studies, narratives, life histories, discursive and non-discursive actions. These scholarly approaches help appreciate and understand the aspirations and challenges characterizing social life in the UAE.
- To introduce students to sociological Knowledge, methods, concepts, issues and topics that are relevant to the society.
- To provide students with skills and tools needed to engage fieldwork and scientific research in the U.A.E society.
- To train students to think critically in understanding, analyzing, and solving the social issues and problems.
- To enrich students’ imagination to understand social behaviors, actions, interactions, problems and policies.
- To equip students with tools and skills to serve in government, private, and nonprofit organizations and institutions.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Undertake a preliminary investigation of sociologically informed questions.
- Summarize the findings of empirical sociological research including the ability to identify the methodological framework used.
- Apply basic research tools in a preliminary way.
- Recognize sociologically informed explanations.
- Recognize the ethical dimensions of social research.
- Identify and select from appropriate sociological sources and present the conclusion in an appropriate sociological format.
- Identify and select sociological work relevant to given social, public and civic policies.
Required Credit Hours :
minimum 120 hours
General Education (REQ. CH:39)
Cluster 1: Values to Live By - Islam (3.00 hours)
Cluster 2: Skills for Life - English Communication (3.00 hours)
|ESPU1014||Introduction to Academic English for Humanities and SS||3.000|
Cluster 2: Skills for Life - Information Literacy (3.00 hours)
Cluster 3: The Human Community - Emirates Society (3.00 hours)
Cluster 3: The Human Community - The Global Experience (3.00 hours)
|SOC201||Social & Cultural Change 2||3.000|
2 : Also counts towards the Major
Cluster 5: Capstone Experience (3.00 hours)
|HSR400||Integrated Capstone 3||3.000|
3 : Also counts towards the Major
Sociology Major (Req. CH:33)
Elective Concentrations (Req. CH:12)
Student must choose CH:12 from one of the following concentration including at least one research method course (*)
Minors and Free Electives (Req. CH:48)
Required Minor (1) (18.00 hours)
Optional Minor (2) (Students can either take Minor (2) or 18 credit hours from any free elective courses.) (18.00 hours)
Free Electives (12.00 hours)