Bylaw, Policy & Procedures Homepage
Executive By-Laws of Federal Law No. (4) for 1976 concerning the establishment and organization of UAE University
|University||United Arab Emirates University|
|Law||Federal Law No. (4) for 1976 concerning the establishment and organization of the United Arab Emirates University|
|By-Law||UAEU Executive By-law|
|Council||UAE University Council|
|Chancellor||The Chancellor of UAE University|
|Vice Chancellor||The Vice Chancellor of UAE University|
|Secretary General||UAEU Secretary General|
|Students||Male and female students|
The By-Law aims at facilitating the execution of Law, providing a framework for the authority to be exercised by the administrative and academic departments/units concerned and setting out the policies and decision-making procedures to be observed in all aspects of the University’s activities, in a way that would enable the University to play its role and to achieve its vision, mission and goals.Article (4)
The Council shall be formed in accordance with the provisions of Article (10) of the Law, and shall have the authority stipulated by Article (12) of the Law.Article (5)
The Council shall be formed, under the chairmanship of the Chancellor, as follows:
1. Seven well reputed UAE nationals known for their good reason and wide experience, to be selected by the Cabinet, upon the Chancellor's recommendation, for a renewable two-year term.
2. The Vice Chancellor
3. Four faculty members to be selected by the Chancellor for a renewable two-year term
To convene, a majority of council members should be attending a meeting. Decisions are taken by absolute majority. In the event of equal votes, the side having the chairmans vote shall overrule.
The chairman may invite other reputable dignitaries to attend Council meetings, but they shall have no vote.Article (6)
The Council shall undertake the following:
1. Setting the general policy of education and research at the University within the context of the United Arab Emirates general plan of higher education.
2. Developing a plan which would make available the means necessary for realizing the University's objectives.
3. Laying down the By-Laws, in addition to the financial and organizational regulations of the University, including all recruitment/appointment systems, as well as disciplinary rules pertaining to all University personnel.
4. Endorsing the University’s annual draft budget and the concluding account.
5. Approving curricula and fixing duration thereof.
6. Determining the privileges to be granted to students.
7. Granting university degrees.
8. Approving policies related to student admission, and numbers within the framework of higher education general plan.
9. Determining university fees.
10. Endorsing the establishment of new colleges and higher institutes, the modification of existing ones or the establishment of new branches within the limits of the approved budget.
11. Following up the implementation of the general plan of university education and research.
12. Endorsing rules and systems for investing university funds, and management and disposal thereof.
13. Accepting donations, endowments, etc., provided this does not conflict with the University's objectives.
14. Any other jurisdiction specified by laws and regulations.
a- The Council shall convene, upon an invitation from the Chairman, twice at least each semester. The Council may also hold extraordinary meetings during the academic year.
b- The Council may take decisions through personal attendance of members thereof, by default, videoconferencing, telephone contact, mail, express mail or E-mail
The Council shall have a secretary to be selected by the chairman; the secretary shall have the following duties and responsibilities:
1) Prepare for Council meetings.
2) Prepare drafts of meeting agendas, in collaboration with the Vice Chancellor, and ensure agenda drafts are sent to Council members a week, at least, prior to the date of a meeting.
3) Take minutes, and endorse them.
4) Follow up decision taking process, and deliver decisions along with minutes to the Council members.
5) Keep records of Council, or any committees thereof, minutes, documents, and reports.
The Council may delegate some of its authority to the Chancellor.
The Chancellor shall be responsible for issuing decrees pertaining to setting out University policies and principles governing the academic and administrative operations thereof, upon the Vice Chancellor recommendation. This includes the following areas:
1. Academic and student affairs
2. Financial and administrative affairs
3. Human resources and faculty/non faculty staff affairs
Approval of new policies, or amendments to existing ones, will be endorsed only upon consultations with the departments/units concerned.Article (11)
The Vice Chancellor shall oversee the implementation and interpretation of the Chancellor’s decrees.
The University By-Law shall be issued in Arabic together with an official English version. The University By-Law will be published in the Official Gazette, and it shall be posted on the University website, in both Arabic and English.Article (13)
Decrees issued by the Chancellor shall be reported to the Council in its earliest meeting.Article (14)
The Chancellor shall, upon presentation by the Vice Chancellor, issue appropriate decrees to endorse the organizational structure for the University’s top positions, to appoint college deans, associate deans, directors, center chiefs and the like, and those to hold higher ranks.Article (15)
The Vice Chancellor shall issue the decrees necessary for endorsement of the organizational structure and appointment decrees relative to positions that are not included in Article (14) above.Article (16)
The number and nature of the positions will be determined through the planning and budgeting processes of the University.Article (17)
University committees may be formed as need arises, provided they are approved by the Vice Chancellor, Provost, or Secretary General, in as far as each is concerned.Article (18)
One, or more deputies known for his/her/their vast experience, may be appointed to assist the Vice Chancellor in the administration of the University.Article (19)
The Chancellor may delegate some of his authority to the Vice Chancellor.Article (20)
The Vice Chancellor may delegate some of his authority to his deputies, the Secretary General or to any other officers within the university.Article (21)
Faculty and staff of the University shall set forth proposals concerning university policies and/or procedures through the appropriate management hierarchy.Article (22)
Chancellors decree No. (85) for 1994, concerning the establishment and organization of University General Requirements Unit (UGRU), in addition to his decrees pertaining to the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences shall remain intact.Article (23)
Unless new bylaws and decrees are issued in accordance with this By-Law, existing by-laws and decrees that do not conflict with the provisions stated herein, shall remain intact.