Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Concentration: Geography and GIS
The PhD in Geography Concentration provides advanced knowledge about the latest theories in the field of GIS such as GIS modeling, internet/mobile GIS, and GIS and accuracy assessment. The concentration offers a chance for graduates to be equipped with knowledge and skills that are necessary in the vibrant GIS field. Upon completion of the concentration students will be able to debate complex geographical issues utilizing GIS tools, assess web-based GIS maps, and adopt Quality Assurance/ Quality Control (QA/QC) in GIS projects.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the breadth of knowledge in the discipline and advance, in-depth knowledge in the sub-discipline or area of specialization.
- Perform and defend an original work of research in their fields of specialization which contributed new human knowledge.
- Identify, analyze critically and explain open problems in their disciplines and apply relevant research methodology for finding a possible solution.
- Communicate the major tenets of their field of specialization and their work orally and in writing to the faculty, their peers, and the lay public.
- Identify areas where ethical issues may arise in their field, and articulate strategies to mitigate situations related to ethical issues in their profession.
- Demonstrate an insight into the transferable nature of research skills to other work environments and the range of career opportunities available to them inside and outside academia.
Required Credit Hours :
minimum 60 hours