Minor in Chemistry
The department of chemistry offers a minor program in chemistry for students enrolled in any non-major chemistry programs. The program allows students to get a secondary area of specialization. The minor program in chemistry is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in chemistry and develop their knowledge and skills in problem solving and critical thinking.
- Min grade requirement: None
- Pre-requisite: None
- Targeted students: All students except those with a major in Chemistry.
- To provide students the essential knowledge and foundation in chemistry; enabling them to successful careers in chemistry related sectors.
- To prepare students for graduate studies in chemistry related programs.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Describe the fundamental concepts and theoretical principles in chemistry and demonstrate understanding for the basic ideas underlying various chemistry’s subfields in analytical, inorganic, organic, physical and biochemistry (Knowledge skills).
- Operate modern chemical instrumentation, perform chemical syntheses and carry out chemical experiments with confident and strict adherence to safety and hygiene practices (Cognitive Skills, Interpersonal Skills & Responsibility.)
- Analyze and interpret data and report results correctly in oral and written forms (Communication).
- Demonstrate knowledge of using the web-based methods to effectively search chemistry scientific literature (Information Technology).
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills to solve theoretical and practical problems in chemistry (critical thinking).
- Recognize the importance of chemistry in industrial, economic, environmental and social contexts (Knowledge).
Required Credit Hours :
minimum 18 hours
Chemistry Required Courses (Req. CH:18)