Minor in English Language and Literacy
Completion of the English Language and Literacy Minor will increase the employability of graduates by supporting their language learning and advancing their acquisition of verbal (speaking and listening) and textual (reading and writing) literacy in English in ways that complement any major degree. The Minor will provide a rigorous, university-level forum for students who wish to develop higher-level English skills for personal or employment purposes, but who do not wish to follow specialized courses in English Literature, Translation or Linguistics. However, the Minor will complement and enhance those and other majors in its emphasis on facility in language in preparation for professional life.
- Min grade requirement: None
- Pre- requisite: Approval of department chair
- Targeted students: All students except English Literature and Translation Studies
- Increase communicative proficiency and accuracy.
- Present, orally and in writing, referenced works of scholarly/professional merit.
- Develop textual and cultural literacy.
- Apply language corrective/maintenance strategies to address limits of knowledge.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate comprehension and appropriate use of core university-level vocabulary
- Demonstrate comprehension of written/spoken texts addressed to a college-level audience.
- Produce written and oral presentations consistent with fluency and coherence expectations found at the college/professional level.
- Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively and individually to learn, create and exhibit knowledge.
- Address impediments to effective communication
Required Credit Hours : minimum 18 hours
English Language and Literacy Minor
|Required Courses (15 hours )||Credit Hours|
|ENG210||College Reading and Writing||3|
|ENG250||English Grammar & Usage||3|
|ENG300||Critical Reading in the Disciplines||3|
|ENG310||Writing for Research||3|
|ENG312||Cultural Literacy: English in the World||3|
|Elective Courses (3 hours )||Credit Hours|
|ENG450||Public Speaking and Debate||3|
|ENG454||Practicum: Writing for the Workplace||3|
لايوجد محتوى عربي لهذه الصفحة
يوجد مشكلة في الصفحة التي تحاول الوصول إليها