Master of Science in Geosciences
The proposed Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Geosciences is a coursework-plus-thesis based degree providing postgraduate education in advanced topics in a broad range of Geoscience disciplines. The outcomes of this degree encompass both progression towards PhD in Geosciences (available at the UAEU) and more specialized education for employment in a range of private and public enterprises, particularly resource industries and environmental authorities. Thus, the program is oriented towards the following goals: 1) academic (students preferring to progress to Ph.D. degree), 2) private professional (students intending to seek employment in private industries and consultancies), 3) public service (students intending to follow careers in government ministries, municipalities and other public service authorities), 4) education (secondary school student teachers who are intending to specialize in geology). The mode of study may be full-time or part-time. Applicants must have successfully completed a B.Sc. in Geology or equivalent, with associated cumulative GPA of 3.0 or more (on scale of 4). All degree courses and written thesis are in English, leading to minimum TOEFL or IELTS requirements. The requirements of the course are 30 credit hours (CH) of study including 6 CH for College core courses, 9 CH for Geoscience core courses, 9 CH for Geoscience elective courses including a maximum of 3 CH from other master approved courses, and 6 CH for thesis. Oral defense of thesis is compulsory.
- Expanding research activity and research-oriented education in the UAEU.
- Delivering specialized geoscientists who can serve the UAE and the GCC region.
- Preparing geoscientists who can progress to a PhD program in the UAE or internationally.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Develop advance competences in field, laboratory, and data analysis techniques related to the research project discipline.
- Search and review previous studies in research project disciplines.
- Apply independent self-management and working in a team capacity.
- Communicate professionally in writing and presentation of scientific results.
- Solve geoscience problems related to industrial, environmental, and scientific projects using the acquired comprehensive knowledge and skills.
Required Credit Hours :
minimum 30 hours
College Required Courses
Compulsory Geosciences core courses
|Required Courses (6 hours