UAEU Climate Action Agenda
- To support UAE’s commitment towards achieving net zero initiative.
- To raise community awareness of the importance of climate adaptation actions.
- To empower youth to actively participate in climate action initiatives.
- To enhance the UAEU research efforts towards mitigation of climate change impacts.
We aligned our commitments with the target of the Net Zero Strategic Initiative of
the UAE by 2050.
The UAE University committed to:
- Achieve a 30% reduction in food waste in all its dorms by 2030.
- Implement electronic submission of assignments and project reports, with a 50% target
- Develop new micro-credential program on climate change.
- Eliminate diesel use for in-campus transportation by 2030.
- Develop accessible garden amenities with native plants on campus.
- Allocate significant research and development fund for the climate related research.
- Recruit top researchers on climate change and action through UAEU post-doc fellowship
on climate action.
- Recruit PhD students on hydrogen and clean energy.
- Install a total of 20 electric vehicle charging stations around the campus by 2030.
- Develop and implement awareness program for local community.
- Develop 20% of the University’s electricity demand from renewable energy by 2030.
UAEU Post-Doctoral Fellowship on Climate Actions
The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU), established in 1976, is the first and
most comprehensive research University in the country. The University is based in
Al Ain City with its state-of-the-art campus, fully equipped with the most advanced
educational and research facilities.
Approximately 16,000+ students from 82 countries are currently enrolled in the university.
The UAEU plays an active role in achieving and keeping pace with the sustainable development
goals (SDGs) of the United Nations by supporting initiatives and projects seeking
to achieve this ambitious vision. Many initiatives and research activities, related
to SDGs, are currently in place within the different colleges and research centers
of UAEU to support the national strategy for climate neutrality to reach the target
of zero carbon emissions by 2050.
The purpose of the Post-Doctoral Fellowship Program on Climate Actions is to enhance
and support the activities of the country to achieve its commitments towards the net
zero initiative. The fellowship program provides seed money to recruit a highly qualified
Post-Doctoral researcher, explore, test, and implement research ideas for resilient,
inclusive, and sustainable solutions under the mentorship of a faculty member at UAE
University. New and innovative contributions or methods to improve existing solutions
and achieve sustainability and climate neutrality are welcomed. The UAEU Post-Doctoral
Fellowship Program on Climate Actions aims to fund five research grants over the period
2024-2025. Each proposal will be internally and externally evaluated.
The maximum amount of funding for each proposal submitted through this initiative
is AED 650,000. For non-lab-based projects, the maximum budget should not exceed AED
600,000. The requested budget should be carefully thought as per the requirements
of the project. The duration of the projects can be up to 2 years. The PIs can budget
funds in the following categories:
- Support for personnel for post-docs (a maximum of AED 250,000 per year inclusive of
health insurance, travel tickets, etc.)
- Materials, small equipment, consumables, or software (a maximum of 75,000 AED over
the 2-year duration of the project.)
- Support for travels to attend SCOPUS conference with full length papers published
in the proceedings (a maximum of AED 15,000).
- Collaboration in research with international universities/research institutes not
including travels (a maximum of 30,000 AED annually)
- Fees of Q1 open access journals are covered.
- Subcontracts and Vendors are not permitted. IT equipment (Ex: Laptop, personnel computer,
IPAD, telephone, camera, Keyboard, screen, mouse, scanner, printer, etc.) and software
that are provided by the university are not covered. PIs should be used the available
resources at the two universities. Major equipment, computers, and laptops are not
covered. Stationery, Books, Vouchers and gifts are not covered.
- Funds are not transferable among the different items. The funds should be strictly
used as per the identified categories.
Years Fellowship Duration
AED for Lab based Projects
AED for Non-Lab based Projects
Eligibility to apply for the UAEU Post- Doctoral Fellowship
Applicants are expected to have the following qualifications.
- PhD degree from reputable University
- A proven record of achievements research
- Several Scopus indexed journal publications as first author/corresponding author
- Strong communication skills and fluency in English
In addition, a support letter from a UAEU host faculty should be included in the application.
Candidates are required to submit a maximum of 2-page research proposal elaborating
the new research contributions in the area of Climate actions or Sustainability. The
research should help achieve climate neutrality. In addition to the 2-page proposal,
the following documents should be attached.
- Copy of official certificates and transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
(PhD, Master, and Bachelor degrees)
- A Detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) including list of publications
- Support letter from a UAEU host PI
The initial application should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Detailed Proposal Submission
After the initial review by the research office, the applicant and host PI are informed
about the status of the application. Host PIs of the short-listed applicants are
informed to submit the detailed proposal using the Grant Management System.
Expected Outcomes and Deliverables
The outcomes of the two years Post-Doctoral program on climate actions are expected
to be documented in a series of research articles published in reputable journals
and mostly in top 10% Scopus journals. A final report must be submitted to the research
office through the grant management system including all the published/under review
research articles. In addition, a poster on the project is to be prepared and presented
at the Sustainability Research Exhibit/Conference day to be held at the UAEU.
Proposal Review and Funding Criteria:
The submitted proposals will be reviewed and evaluated based on the following:
- The quality, significance, and relevance of the proposed research, including the potential
to achieve Climate Change neutrality.
- The originality and novelty of the proposed research approach.
- The appropriateness of the requested funds and utilization of available resources.
- The qualifications of the candidate and collaborators to carry out the proposed work
successfully based on past accomplishments and future potential.
- The quality of the proposal with respect to its presentation, clarity, organization,
- The relative intellectual and strategic merits of other proposals participating in
the same competition.
- The expected outcomes and impacts.
Guidelines for Completing Application Form
Abstract: 300 words,
Summarize the proposal in language that the public can understand. Briefly describe
the nature of the work to be conducted. Indicate why is this research is important
and anticipated outcomes to help achieve climate neutrality at UAE.
Background: (maximum 3 pages)
This section describes the background and the current understanding of the literature
pertaining to the problem addressed, the overall objectives/goals of the research
proposed, and the experimental approach (research plan) proposed to accomplish those
goals. In general, this section should address the following questions.
1) What work has already been done that is relevant to the research goals? Give a
brief survey of prior research with appropriate citations.
2) What major research questions are currently unanswered that the project will address,
and why is it important to address these?
3) Why is the proposed research likely to contribute to achieving climate neutrality?
Aim and Objectives (maximum 1 Page)
Explain the research question(s) and hypotheses you intend to answer, or problems
you will solve.
Preliminary Results (Maximum 2 pages)
Any preliminary data, or feasibility studies, should be provided to support the likelihood
that the proposed work will be successful.
Specific Tasks and Time Schedule (maximum 6 pages):
The methods section may vary depending on the research to be conducted. Explain how
the results will be analyzed in order to answer the specific scientific questions.
Describe the techniques you will use in sufficient details to allow the reviewers
to judge whether the project will achieve the stated objectives. Provide sufficient
information on the different tasks and the time schedule to complete each task. Define
the role/contribution of each member of the team in each task.
Expected Outcomes: (Maximum 1 page)
Describe the new contribution/added value/outcomes of the project to achieve climate
- number of publications in journals and journals to be targeted;
- intellectual property;
- potential applications of the outcomes;
- development of a new methodology;
- improvement in a process
Requested Budget and Justification: Provide detailed budget and a complete Justification for each item.
Bibliography: List all the references cited.
Qualifications of the Candidate and other Collaborators: (Maximum 1 page). Briefly describe each member’s role in the project and highlight
how their research experience will enable them to use the tools and methods required
to meet project objectives. Each member’s description should be around two- three
sentences in length. For a position “To be announced” (TBA), the required qualifications
should be noted.
Supporting Letter from the Collaborator: A letter of support indicating the willingness of the PI and other collaborators
to contribute to the activities of the project.
Is this proposal or any of the activities included in it pending funding consideration
by another sponsor at this time? (Yes, No). If yes, name the sponsor and expected
dates of notification in the budget narrative
Other Active grants: Provide titles, the source of funding, total budget, duration, and your role in the
project of all active grants on which your name appear. Moreover, provide a list of
other grants obtained that are related to this application.
Curriculum Vitae: A short (2 pages maximum) curriculum vitae of the candidate, the PI and other collaborators