Department of Pediatrics
Clinical & Community Services
Faculty & Staff
The Department of Pediatrics is involved in teaching and researching about the clinical care of infants and children. The department teaches the principles of clinical care to UAEU medical students and the wider university community. We contribute, in terms of teaching and research to the MD degree and also to the MS and Ph.D programs. We also offer programs leading to fellowships in Neonatology and Biochemical Genetics.
The department’s primary mission is to provide a multi-disciplinary education. The goal is to produce excellent physicians who can deliver compassionate care, will be advocates for better general and who remain committed to life-long learning.
The department conducts research to address common health problems in the UAE. Our research includes studies of genetic disorders, congenital metabolic problems, diabetes, obesity, asthma, allergic disorders, animal models of viral infection, respiratory infections, toxicology, vitamin D deficiency, immunization and tuberculosis.
Faculty is involved with the main teaching hospitals (Al Ain and Tawam Hospitals respectively), where they play critical roles in undergraduate and postgraduate clinical training and academic education. Undergraduate and postgraduate students are taught in these realistic clinical settings.
The department’s primary mission is to provide a comprehensive clinical education to UAEU medical students. The pediatrics faculty members teach medical science, organ systems, and clinical science. The Junior Pediatric Rotation requires eight weeks of full-time training. This course provides clinical experience at both Tawam and Al Ain Hospitals. Students have ‘on call’ responsibilities during this period. The students are assessed by written examination, clinical presentations and an oral examination. The Senior Pediatric Rotation is four weeks long. Students work as sub-interns, perform certain procedures, actively participate in patient assessment, get involved in management, and conduct bedside discussions and clinical conferences. Again they are assessed by written examination, clinical presentations and an oral examination. At the end of each rotation the students take the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) examination.
The department supports two professional clinical fellowship programs at Tawam Hospital: these are the Neonatal Perinatal Fellowship and the Biochemical Genetics Fellowship.The faculty also supports the Pediatric Residency Program at Tawam and Al Ain Hospitals. This four year, hospital-based training complies with requirements of the Arab Board. The residents have extensive exposure to inpatient and outpatient pediatrics and other sub-specialties.
Clinical & Community Services
The faculty contributes to the main teaching hospitals (Al Ain and Tawam Hospitals). They provide consultations and make use of their expertise. Examples of these interactions include: caring for critically-ill children; conducting morbidity-mortality conferences; performing continuous medical education (CME) seminars and workshops, and producing clinical guidelines. Faculty provides both diagnostic and therapeutic consultations in clinical disciplines such as, immunology, cardiology, genetics, infectious diseases, immunization, metabolic diseases, oncology and hematology. This provides an opportunity to teach top-quality care through evidence-based medical practice.
The department’s research output has significantly improved the care of sick children in the UAE.
- Aburawi EH, Souid AK, Liuba P, Zoubeidi T, Pesonen E. (2013). Early changes in myocardial repolarization and coronary perfusion after cardiopulmonary bypass surgery for ASD repair in children. BMC Cardiovasc Disord., Sep 10;13:67.
- Aburawi EH, Souid AK. (2013). Inhibition of murine cardiomyocyte respiration by amine local anesthetics. Eur J Drug Metab, Pharmacokinet. Nov 20.
- Aburawi EH, Narchi H, Souid AK. (2013). Persistent wandering atrial pacemaker after epinephrine overdosing -- a case report. BMC Pediatrics, 13:1.
- Aburawi EH, Souid A-k, Liuba P, Pesonen E. (2013). ECG changes early after ASD cardiopulmonary bypass surgery in children. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders, Sep 10;13(1):67.
- Akawi NA, Ali BR, Al-Gazali L. (2013). A progeriod Syndrome with Neonatal Manifestations and Long Survival Maps to 19p13.3-13.2. birth defects research part a: clinical and molecular teratology, 97; 456-462. (Epub ahead of print).
- Alders M, Mendola A, Adès L, Al Gazali L, Bellini C, Dallapiccola B, Edery P, Frank U, Hornshuh F, Huisman SA, Jagadeesh S, Kayserili H, Keng WT, Lev D, Prada CE, Sampson JR, Schmidtke J, Shashi V, van Bever Y, Van der Aa N, Verhagen JM, Verheij JB, Vikkula M, Hennekam RC. (2013). Evaluation of Clinical Manifestations in Patients with Severe Lymphedema with and without CCBE1 Mutations. Mol Syndromol, 4; 107-113.
- Alfazari AS, Al-Dabbagh B, Almarzooqi S, Albawardi A, Souid A-K. A preparation of murine liver fragments for in vitro studies. (2013). BMC Research Note, Feb 25;6:70.
- Alfazari AS, Al-Dabbagh B, Almarzooqi S, Albawardi A, Souid A-K. Bioenergetic study on murine hepatic tissue treated in vitro with atorvastatin. (2013). BMC Pharmacology and Toxicology, Feb 28;14:15.
- Al-Gazali L, Vilian V, Barres B, Andrie EY, Wu LA, Handelsman J, Moss-Racusin C, Husu L. Laboratory life: Scientists of the world speak up for equality. (2013). Nature, 495; 35-38.
- Al-Jaberi SA, Ben-Salem S, Messedi M, Ayadi F, Al-Gazali L, Ali BR. (2013). Determination of the CCR5∆32 Frequency in Emiratis and Tunisians and the Screening of the CCR5 gene for novel alleles in Emiratis Gene, 529; 113-118. [Epub Ahead of Print]
- Al-Jasmi F, Pramathan T, Penefsky HS, Souid A-K. (2013). Mitochondrial oxygen consumption by foreskins and fibroblasts. Sultan Qaboos University Medical Journal 13; 411-416.
- Al Samri MT, Souid A-K. (2013). In vitro study on the pulmonary cytotoxicity of amiodarone. Toxicol Mech Methods, 23; 610-616.
- Al-Shibli A, Al Tatari H, Al Ameri A, Ghatasheh G, Issah M, Al Attrach I, Narchi H. (2013). Uric acid excretion in rotavirus gastro-enteritis. Paediatr Int Child Health [Epub ahead of print].
- Al-Shibli A, Konrad M, Altay W, Al Masri O, Al-Gazali L, Al Attrach I. (2013). Familial hypomagnesemia with hypercalciurea and nephrocalcinosis: report of 3 cases with a novel mutation in CLDN19 gene. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl, 24; 338-344.
- Alsuwaidi AR, Almarzooqi S, Albawardi A, Benedict S, Kochiyil J, Mustafa F, Hartwig SM, Varga SM, Souid A-K. (2013). Cellular bioenergetics, caspase activity and glutathione in murine lungs infected with influenza A virus. Virology, 446; 180-188.
- Alsuwaidi AR, Benedict S, Kochiyil J, Mustafa F, Hartwig SM, Almarzooqi S, Albawardi A, Rizvi TA, Varga SM, Souid A-K. (2013). Study on bioenergetics of murine lung infected with respiratory syncytial virus. Virology Journal, Jan 15;10(1):22.
- Bechdache GN, Begam MH, Chadid F, Al-Gazali L, Mirghani H. (2013). Fibrochondrogenesis: Prenatal diagnosis and outcome. J Obstet Gynecol, 7; 663-668.
- Ben-Salem S, Rehm HL, Willems PJ, Zakaria A, Ayadi TH, Ali BR, Al-Gazali L. (2013). Analysis of Two Arab Families Reveals Additional Support for a DFNB2 Nonsyndromic Phenotype of MYO7A Molecular Biology Reports, [Epub ahead of print].
- Ben-Salem S, Hertecant J, Al-Shamsi AM, Ali BR, Al-Gazali L. (2013). Novel Mutations in ADAMTSL2 Gene Underlying Geleophysic Dysplasia in Families from UAE. Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology, Sept 6 [Epub ahead of print].
- Bissar-Tadmouri N, Donahue WL, Al-Gazali L, Nelson SF, Bayrak-Toydemir P, Kantarci S. (2013). X-Chromosome exome sequencing reveals a novel ALG13 mutation in a non-syndromic intellectual disability family with multiple affected male siblings Am J Med Genet, [Epub ahead of print].
- Dhanasekaran S, Nemmar A, Aburawi EH, Kazzam EE, Abdulle A, Bellou M, Bellou A. (2013). Glyburide, a K(+)(ATP)channel blocker, improves hypotension and survival in anaphylactic shock induced in Wistar rats sensitized to ovalbumin. Eur J Pharmacol., Nov 15;720(1-3):166-73.
- Funke S, Gardeitchik T, Kouwenberg D, Mohamed M, Wortmann SB, Korsch E, Adamowicz M, Al-Gazali L, Wevers RA, Horvath A, Lefeber DJ, Movara E. (2013). Perinatal and early infantile symptoms in congenital disorders of glycosylation. Am J Med Genet A, 161; 578-584.
- Hume AN, John A, Akawi NA, Al-Awadhi AM, Al-Suwaidi SS, Al-Gazali L, Ali BR. (2013). Retention in the endoplasmic reticulum is the underlying mechanism of some hereditary haemorrhagic telangiectasia type 2 ALK1 missense mutations. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 373; 247-257.
- Jennifer E. Below, Dawn L. Earl, Kathryn M. Shivley, Margaret J. McMillin, Joshua D. Smith,Emily H. Turner, Mark J. Stephan, Lihadh I. Al-Gazali, Jozef. Hertecant, David Chitayat, Sheila Unger, Daniel H. Cohn, Debora Krakow, James M. Swanson, Elaine M. Faustman, Jay Shendure, Deborah A. Nickerson, Michael J Bamshad, University of Washington Center for Mendelian Genomics. (2013). Whole genome analysis reveals that mutations in Inositol PolyphosphatePhosphatase-like 1 (INPPL1) cause opsismodysplasia. Am J Hum Genet, 92; 137-143. [Epub].
- Khassawneh MY, Khriesata WM, Saqana RM, Hayajneha WA. (2013). Resistant bacteria cause urinary tract infection 1 in graduates of neonatal unit. Journal of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, 8; 1–5.
- Lavigne F, Petrof BJ, Johnson JR, Lavigne P, Binothman N, Kassissia GO, Al Samri M, Giordano C, Dubé N, Hercz D, Benedetti A, Hamid Q. (2013). Effect of topical corticosteroids on allergic airway inflammation and disease severity in obstructive sleep apnoea. Clinical & Experimental Allergy, 43; 1124-1133.
- Liuba P, Johansson S, Pesonen E, Odermarsky M, Kornerup-Hansen A, Forslid A, Aburawi EH, Higgins T, Birck M, Perez-de-Sa V. (2013). Coronary flow and reactivity, but not arrhythmia vulnerability, are affected by cardioplegia during cardiopulmonary bypass in piglets. J Cardiothorac Surg, Jun 19;8:157.
- Nadia A. Akawi, Fatma Al-Jasmi, Aisha Al-Shamsi, Bassam R. Ali* and Lihadh Al-Gazali. (2013) LINS, a Modulator of the WNT Signaling Pathway, is Involved in Human Cognition. Orphant J Rare Dis, 8 :87 [Epub ahead of print].
- Narchi H, Ghatasheh G, Al Hassani N, Al Reyami L, Khan Q. (2013). Comparison of underlying factors behind parental refusal or consent for lumbar puncture. World J Pediatr, 9; 336-341.
- Narchi H, Ghoneim DM, Skinner A, Coggins P. (2013). Texture analysis of periventricular echogenicity on neonatal cranial ultrasound predicts periventricular leukomalacia. J Perinat Neonat Med, 6; 117–124.
- Narchi H. (2013). Hypernatremia in Children. J Pediatr Biochem, 3; 213-224.
- Narchi H. (2013). Pediatric examinations content validity comparison: in-house versus NBME examination. Med Sci Educ, 23; 250-258.
- Suleiman J, Brilot F, Lang B, Vincent A, Dale RC. (2013). Autoimmune epilepsy in children: case series and proposed guidelines for identification. Epilepsia, 54; 1036-1045.
- Suleiman J, Wright S, Gill D, Brilot F, Waters P, Peacock K, et al. (2013). Autoantibodies to neuronal antigens in children with new-onset seizures classified according to the revised ILAE organization of seizures and epilepsies. Epilepsia, 54; 2091-2100.
- Travaglini L, Brancati F, Silhavy J, Iannicelli M, Nickerson E, Elkhartoufi N, Scott E, Spencer E, Gabriel S, Thomas S, Ben-Zeev B, Bertini E, Boltshauser E, Chaouch M, Cilio MR, de Jong MM, Kayserili H, Ogur G, Poretti A, Signorini S, Uziel G, Zaki MS; International JSRD Study Group, Johnson C, Attié-Bitach T, Gleeson JG, Valente EM. (2013). Phenotypic spectrum and prevalence of INPP5E mutations in Joubert syndrome and related disorders. Eur J Hum Genet, 21; 1074-1078.
- Yu TW, Chahrour MH, Coulter ME, Jiralerspong S, Okamura-Ikeda K, Ataman B, Harmin DA, Adli M, Malik AN, D’Gama A, Schmitz-Abe K, Lim E, Sanders SJ, Mochida GH, Partlow JN, Sunu CM, Felie JM, Rodriguez J, Ware J, Joseph RM, Hill RS, Kwan BY, Al-Saffar M, Mukaddes NM, Hashmi A, Balkhy S, Gascon GG, Hisama FM, LeClair E, Poduri A, Oner O, Al-Saad S, Ben-Omran T, Al-Gazali L, Eapen V, Stevens CR, Rappaport L, Gabriel SB, Markianos K, State MW, Greenberg ME, Taniguchi H, Braverman NE, Morrow EM, Walsh CA. (2013). Using whole exome sequencing to identify inherited causes of autism. Neuron, 77; 259-273.
- Al-Suwaidi AR, Uduman SA, Balhaj G, Al-Hammadi S, Souid A-K. (2013). Uduman Concise Handbook of Pediatric Infectious Diseases (UAEU press).
- Akawi N, Ali B R, Al-Gazali L. (2013). A response to Dr. Alzahrani's letter to the editor regarding the mechanism underlying fibrochondrogenesis. Gene, 10; 528; 367-368.
- El Oakley RM, Ghrew MH, Aboutwerat AA, Alageli NA, Neami KA, Kerwat RM, Elfituri AA, Ziglam HM, Saifenasser AM, Bahron AM, Aburawi EH, Sagar SA, Tajoury AE, Benamer HT. (2013). Consultation on the Libyan health systems: towards patient-centred services. National Health Systems Conference. Libyan J Med;8.
Note: If calling from outside the UAEU organization, dial (+971 3 713) before the extension.
|Dr. Ahmed R. Al Suwaidi||Associate Professor and Chairfirstname.lastname@example.org||7411|
|Prof. Abdul Kader Souid||Professoremail@example.com||7429|
|Prof. Elhadi H. Aburawi||Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||7462|
|Prof. Hassib H. Narchi||Professoremail@example.com||7414|
|Prof. Miroslav Hrajacek||Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||7415|
|Dr. Fatima A. AlDhaheri||Assistant Professoremail@example.com||7410|
|Dr. Fatima Y. Ismail||Assistant Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||7409|
|Dr. Najla Aljaberi||Assistant Professoremail@example.com||7434|
|Dr. Lolowa Mukini||Instructorfirstname.lastname@example.org||7335|
|Dr. Junu George||Research Assistantemail@example.com||7649|
|Dr Omar Mohammed Shehab||Assistant Professor||oShehab@uaeu.ac.ae||7233|
Note: If calling from outside the UAEU organization, dial (+971 3 713) before the extension.
|Dr. Afaf Al Blooshi||Medical Research Specialist Ifirstname.lastname@example.org||7433|
|Dr. Junu V. George||Research Assistant||Junugeorge@uaeu.ac.ae||7649|
|Ms. Khaula K. Saeed Mohammed Mubarak Al Kaabi||Administrator Iemail@example.com||7488|
|Ms. Sania M. Al-Hamad||Research Assistantfirstname.lastname@example.org||7607|
Thank you for your interest in the Pediatrics Department. We welcome your query and encourage you to contact us using the information below:
United Arab Emirates University,
College of Medicine and Health Sciences
P.O.Box: 17666, Al Ain, UAE
Phone: +971 3 7137 488
لايوجد محتوى عربي لهذه الصفحة
يوجد مشكلة في الصفحة التي تحاول الوصول إليها