BS-MS Option in Civil Engineering
College of Engineering at UAEU offers an optional Accelerated Pathway to a Master’s degree in Civil Engineering for talented undergraduate students to complete their M.Sc. degree in Civil Engineering, within one additional year, instead of the current two years after the B.Sc. degree. Baccalaureate degree-seeking students after completing a minimum of 80 CHs in the Bachelor degree program with high (at least 3.0) can join the BS-MS option and earn graduate credits while still fulfilling the requirements of the B.Sc. degree. Up to two technical elective courses can be double counted toward both Bachelor's and Master's degrees for the BS-MS students.
- Make it easier for B.Sc. students to pursue graduate studies.
- Provide advanced knowledge, skills, and attributes to become independent learners and leaders.
- Open opportunities for successful careers at the forefront of industrial development, governmental, consulting, or academic areas.
- Shorten the time required to earn a graduate degree.
- Better prepare for the current and future requirements of professional registration within the U.A.E. and internationally.
- Foster a tradition of graduate research activity.
The current B.Sc. degree in College of Engineering requires the completion of 132 CHs. After completing the B.Sc. degree, students can earn M.Sc. degree by completing an additional 30 CHs of graduate course work. For the proposed integrated BS-MS option, outstanding junior and senior undergraduate students will be allowed to choose up to a total of 6 CHs undergraduate electives to be double counted towards their B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees. This will allow students to obtain their M.Sc. degree after their B.Sc. by completing the remaining 24 CHs of graduate course work. BS-MS students may also take 1-2 additional courses from the M.Sc. program during their Bachelor’s study (these additional courses will only count for their M.Sc. degree). A total of 162 CHs will be sufficient for talented students to obtain integrated B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in 6 years instead of 7.
General Admission Requirements
- Advanced level (Junior or Senior) B.Sc. status with a minimum of 80 CH of the B.Sc. program completed with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Proficiency in English demonstrated by a score of 6.0 on IELTS or equivalent.
- Acceptance of the responsibility and obligation to pay graduate study fees.
Early Admission Procedure
- Fill the BS-MS form and submit to the college for review
- Submission deadline follows the University Master application deadline.
Academic Advising Guidelines
- Technical Elective form must be filled by the BS-MS student before the first week of the semester in which the students will take the BS-MS technical elective courses and/or master level courses.
- Up to two technical elective courses can be double counted for the BS-MS students and will be transferred to their M.Sc. degrees upon joining the M.Sc. program.
- For these courses to be double counted, the BS-MS students will be required to carry out additional work such as a term project, extra assignments, or other types of extra activities beyond what is required from other B.Sc. students. The additional work will be decided by the course instructor in consultation with the BS-MS student.
- A grade of “B” or better is required in a course to qualify for the transfer to the M.Sc. degree.
Probation and Dismissal from the BS-MS Status
All applicable UAEU policies and procedures regarding academic progress of students will apply as relevant for the undergraduate portion of the studies and the graduate portion. For instance, if the BS-MS student cannot maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or more for the graduate courses, then she/he will be placed on probation with possible dismissal from the M.Sc. eligibility for failing to raise the GPA within the specified number of semesters.
Required Credit Hours : minimum 162 hours
|Students can take any two courses listed below from the Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering elective basket and will be counted toward their Master of Science in Civil Engineering. (6 hours )||Credit Hours|
|CIVL510||Special Topics in Structural Engineering||3|
|CIVL515||Advanced Concrete Technology||3|
|CIVL517||Matrix Structural Analysis||3|
|CIVL520||Special Topics in Water Resources & Environmental Engineering||3|
|CIVL522||Advanced Environmental Engineering||3|
|CIVL526||Sustainable Solid Waste Engineering||3|
|CIVL530||Special Topics in Transportation Engineering||3|
|CIVL534||Computer Aided Mapping||3|
|CIVL538||Advanced Highway Engineering||3|
|CIVL540||Special Topics in Construction Management||3|
|CIVL541||Special Topics in Soil Mechanics & Foundation Engineering||3|
|CIVL547||Advanced Construction Management||3|
|CIVL548||Advanced Geotechnical Engineering||3|
|CIVL552||Advanced Steel Design||3|
|Students may also take 1-2 course/s from Master of Science in Architectural Engineering during their Bachelor program. (6 hours )||Credit Hours|
لايوجد محتوى عربي لهذه الصفحة
يوجد مشكلة في الصفحة التي تحاول الوصول إليها