Minor in Journalism
The minor in journalism prepares students basic journalism skills in producing and presenting news projects, e.g. writing news stories, producing print, digital, and online journalistic works. It is an 18-credit hours program that cover core courses in news writing, news editing, news reporting as well as elective course to prepare the proficiency in information and data gathering, media law and ethics, audience effects research, media literacy and media critics. Its main objectives are to equip students with competency for successful careers in journalism, public relations and related areas.
- Min grade requirement: GPA 2.5
- Pre-requisite: Approval of department chair
- Targeted students: All students except Mass Communication
- To provide students basic insight and understanding of principles and procedures in gathering, reporting and writing news and feature articles.
- To develop proficiency and skill in the areas of content production for diverse and converged news media platforms.
- To develop students’ competence and ability in news judgment as well as awareness of the legal and ethical issues confronting the working journalist of today.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate competency in journalistic writing and proficiency in various news writing styles.
- Demonstrate basic skill in the craft of non‐fiction writing.
- Know interviewing skills and other information gathering skills as well as integration of source information, data and spread sheets into news stories.
- Demonstrate understanding of basic audience effects theories and be media literate.
- Apply the journalism skills to the production and presentation of journalistic projects. (producing newsletters, news stories, Web or print magazine pieces or other journalistic works).
- Demonstrate basic skills in media analysis, including being able to critique a mass media product byusing knowledge from border disciplines.
Required Credit Hours : minimum 18 hours
|Required Courses (12 hours )||Credit Hours|
|MSC235||Principles of the Writing for Media||3|
|MSC390||News Editing (lab)||3|
|Elective Courses: Students must chose two of these courses: (6 hours )||Credit Hours|
|MSC342||Writing for Public Relations||3|
|MSC396||Communication Research Methods||3|
|MSC401||Computer Assisted Reporting||3|
|MSC450||Newspaper& Magazine Production||3|
|PUBL421||Press Law and Ethics||3|
لايوجد محتوى عربي لهذه الصفحة
يوجد مشكلة في الصفحة التي تحاول الوصول إليها