Bachelor of Science in Biology
The program in Biology is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in biological sciences, after which they can major in one of two concentrations: cellular and molecular biology, or ecology and organismal biology. Students get good background in chemistry. The Department of Biology emphasizes early students’ involvement in the learning environment, to ensure solid foundation of their theoretical and practical skills. Students are exposed to diverse methods of biological analyses in the two major areas. The program aims at graduating students who are prepared for the demands of professional life, intellectually competent and technically skillful, so they can participate in finding solutions to current major challenges of everyday life.
- Develop proficiency of basic concepts in cellular and molecular biology, ecology and environmental sciences, and general biology.
- Foster teamwork and improve oral and communication skills.
- Foster a student-oriented research program that results in professional publications.
- Embrace student-oriented teaching methods that nurture critical thinking abilities and apply their knowledge to solve theoretical and empirical real-life problems.
- Prepare students for future job market and careers.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Assess up-to-date knowledge relating to principles, theories, and models of biological systems.
- Evaluate practical, empirical, and theoretical problems in biology.
- Analyze and communicate scientific information effectively and professionally.
- Conduct safe and ethical biological lab and/or field experiments and interpret results.
- Compare opinions on present and future global scientific challenges in line with the UAE national interests and job market.
- Work effectively both independently and in a team.
Required Credit Hours :
minimum 120 hours
General Education (Req. Ch: 33)
Cluster 1: Skills for the Future (Req. Ch:15)
|Area 5: Quantitative Reasoning (3 hours
|MATH105||Calculus I 1||3|
1 : Also counts towards the Major
Cluster 2: The Human Community (Req. Ch:12)
Cluster 3: The Natural World (Req. Ch:6)
|Area 1: Natural Sciences (3 hours
|PHYS105||General Physics I 2||3|
2 : Also counts towards the Major
Ecology and Organismal Biology Concentration (Req. Ch: 27)
|Elective Courses (EOB) (Req. CH: 24)
(A student must take 24 credits to fulfill the requirements for graduation. A minimum of 15 credits must be taken as specified from the list below. The other 9 credits can be taken from the same list or from courses in the CMB concentration.)
( Level-2 Courses: (Student must take at least 3 CH from this level) (3 hours
|BIOE212||Biology of Invertebrates||3|
|BIOE214||Biology of Vertebrates||3|
Cellular and Molecular Biology Concentration (Req. Ch: 27)
Free Electives (Req. Ch: 6)
(Student must take any course with 3 Credit Hours) (6 hours